Thursday, October 4, 2007

Is Billy Davies out of his mind?

Billy Davies has said today that he believes Derby will stay up, thats despite the club coming bottom after only eight games. This is the team that lost, 6-0 to Liverpool, 5-0 to Arsenal and 4-0 to Tottenham, and he thinks they can stay up! "I'm confident that over time we will get better," Davies told BBC Sport. "We will become more familiar with our surroundings and achieve what we have to achieve - which is consolidation."

He also said that his first target for his team was to not become detached from their first ten games, talk about setting your standards high! Although they beat Newcastle 1-0 at home last month, they look to me and a lot of other people I know one of the worst teams to play in the Premiership, and Davies believes they will stay up.

I saw recently on the Paddy Power website that they are already paying out on Derby to be relegated and quite frankly their right to. Their star men include, Steve Howard, Steven Pearson and Matt Oakley. Now, In my view, three players that don't even come close to their current relegation rivals of Bolton, Tottenham, Reading and Fulham.

Whenever I watch Derby, either home or away, I always get the impression they are going out to draw. Theirs just something about their play I don't like. I'll be honest I personally dislike Billy Davies, although I do admire him for the job he did in getting Derby premoted last season.

I feel if Derby were to have a realistic chance of staying up, they should of splashed more money out in the transfer market. They signed players like Claude Davis from Sheffield United and Rob Earnshaw from Norwich, players who I think are only good Championship players. Let's just put it this way, if Derby do stay up I'll eat my hat!