Saturday, October 13, 2007

What a terrible match: Ireland V Germany

I have just arrived home from the Croke Park were I think I have seen one of the poorest and dullest International qualifier in my life. The game was Ireland against Germany and Ireland needed to win to keep alive their slim hopes of qualifying for Euro 2008 with the visitors only needing a point to book their place in next summers tournament. It was like watching paint dry, only more depressing!

I honestly don't remember one clear cut chance. OK there was a chance for Ireland captain Robbie Keane early in the second half which he made a balls of and there was one header by Metzelder that was cleared off the line but other than that it was pathetic stuff from both sides. I heard the Germany coach Joachim Lowe saying he was thrilled with his sides professional approach to the game but quite frankly they played terrible at times.

The Irish crowd tried very hard to get something out of the players but it was to no avail. The game was so boring most people were concentrating more on getting the Mexican wave right than watching the game. After seeing the game I was asked by my mate who I taught was man of the match but quite frankly no one deserved it.