Sunday, September 4, 2005

Henry: I miss Vieira

Thierry Henry has admitted that he really missing his fellow Fench man Patrick Vieira at Arsenal. Vieira left Highbury during the summer for a fee of £13.75million to Italian giants Juventus bringing an end to his nine-year stay in North London. The France international was one of Arsene Wenger's first signings on taking the hot seat at Arsenal and became a talisman for The Gunners. Vieira's exit from Highbury has left a big gap in midfield but all Wenger has brought in was Alexander Hleb from Stuttgart.

However, Henry insists he is still feeling the loss of his international colleague and believes Gunners fans will look back in years to come and recognise him as a genuine Highbury legend."When I heard (that Vieira was leaving), it hurt," Henry told the News of the World. "Then it hurt again and it hurt just as much third time.


Henry and Vieira

"Quite simply, in ten years' time people will still say - and I'm including the players as well as the fans: 'Do you remember when Vieira was here?' "Even if Arsenal win the Champions League between now and then, that won't change the fact the a monument left the club in July 2005 after nine years.

"I wasn't expecting it, it happened very quickly. Of course we were all surprised. "He is a top player and we will miss him - but we will also miss the man. Patrick isn't just anybody."However, I can understand that at his advancing age, he had a desire to discover another universe. I accept that, although it's hard. "Along with Dennis Bergkamp he was the last guy at the club who played in our title-winning side of 1998.

"Now there's only Dennis left - and it's up to us to write a new era."Although Henry regrets Vieira's departure, the man that sanctioned the sale has backed his crop of young stars to fill the void left by the Frenchman and establish themselves as world-class performers in their own right.

Wenger believes the young players already at Highbury can lead the club to new glory and repeat the kind of success achieved by Sir Alex Ferguson's 'fledglings' when he brought the likes of Ryan Giggs, David Beckham, Paul Scholes, Nicky Butt and the Neville brothers into his United first team."My hope and conviction is that we are building something here along the lines of what United did," declared Wenger."Their exceptional generation of young players reached new levels and it's up to my young players to prove they have what it takes.

"I think they have, but they have to show me they have the hunger. There's no question they have the quality."Take the likes of Cesc Fabregas, Robin van Persie, Jose Reyes, Mathieu Flamini and Philippe Senderos. They are brilliant players, as are Gael Clichy, Justin Hoyte and Emmanuel Eboue."My job is to convince my players they can be the best."

Vieira was a true legend at Highbury and I'm sure some Arsenal fans miss him. Vieira did underpreform last season for Arsenal but I don't think Arsene Wenger made the right decision in selling him. If Henry misses him so much why dosen't he move to Juventus. I believe Arsenal will miss Vieira this season and I don't think they can win the title.